SIX WRITING TIPS FROM JOHN STEINBECK
1. Abandon the idea that you are ever going to finish. Lose track of the 400 pages and write just one page for each day, it helps. Then when it gets finished, you are always surprised.
2. Write freely and as rapidly as possible and throw the whole thing on paper. Never correct or rewrite until the whole thing is down. Rewrite in process is usually found to be an excuse for not going on. It also interferes with flow and rhythm which can only come from a kind of unconscious association with the material.
3. Forget your generalized audience. In the first place, the nameless, faceless audience will scare you to death and in the second place, unlike the theater, it doesn’t exist. In writing, your audience is one single reader. I have found that sometimes it helps to pick out one person—a real person you know, or an imagined person and write to that one.
4. If a scene or a section gets the better of you and you still think you want it—bypass it and go on. When you have finished the whole you can come back to it and then you may find that the reason it gave trouble is because it didn’t belong there.
5. Beware of a scene that becomes too dear to you, dearer than the rest. It will usually be found that it is out of drawing.
6. If you are using dialogue—say it aloud as you write it. Only then will it have the sound of speech.
- life-and-other-lies reblogged this from santanahudson
- mynameissherlock likes this
- yourloveismyfairytale likes this
- dapaticus reblogged this from cooperhelps
- timshel-thechoice reblogged this from cooperhelps
- charlieofwriting reblogged this from halvehearts
- halvehearts reblogged this from ledaofrph
- marofrp reblogged this from ledaofrph
- audriarps reblogged this from ledaofrph
- ledaofrph reblogged this from shikarps
- ribonuke likes this
- thecricketshavearthritis reblogged this from cooperhelps
- tylynnosaurus likes this
- sphiabush likes this
- santanahudson reblogged this from finnyhudsonrps
- madanimator likes this
- schizodolph likes this
- nocturnalgazer likes this
- neverflew likes this
- hauntedapple reblogged this from finnyhudsonrps
- ardened likes this
- shikarps reblogged this from cooperhelps
- fandommedley likes this
- lovethewayiwriteome reblogged this from cooperhelps
- finnyhudsonrps reblogged this from cooperhelps
- cooperhelps posted this
What I mainly specialize in is writing help. I'm an aspiring television writer, so character development is kind of what I like to do most, as pretentious as it may sound. If you want writing help, you've come to the right place.
If you want to say hi, just say hi! I'm always down for making friends in this community. Any/all questions off anonymous, unless potentially useful to the community and not specified as private, will be answered privately.