SIX WRITING TIPS FROM JOHN STEINBECK
1. Abandon the idea that you are ever going to finish. Lose track of the 400 pages and write just one page for each day, it helps. Then when it gets finished, you are always surprised.
2. Write freely and as rapidly as possible and throw the whole thing on paper. Never correct or rewrite until the whole thing is down. Rewrite in process is usually found to be an excuse for not going on. It also interferes with flow and rhythm which can only come from a kind of unconscious association with the material.
3. Forget your generalized audience. In the first place, the nameless, faceless audience will scare you to death and in the second place, unlike the theater, it doesn’t exist. In writing, your audience is one single reader. I have found that sometimes it helps to pick out one person—a real person you know, or an imagined person and write to that one.
4. If a scene or a section gets the better of you and you still think you want it—bypass it and go on. When you have finished the whole you can come back to it and then you may find that the reason it gave trouble is because it didn’t belong there.
5. Beware of a scene that becomes too dear to you, dearer than the rest. It will usually be found that it is out of drawing.
6. If you are using dialogue—say it aloud as you write it. Only then will it have the sound of speech.
- cas-cannot-twerk likes this
- nodillydallydaly reblogged this from cooperhelps
- wakewithamnesia reblogged this from cooperhelps
- benevolentbitches reblogged this from cooperhelps
- benevolentbitches likes this
- lorawill likes this
- life-and-other-lies reblogged this from halloweeniehudson
- mynameissherlock likes this
- yourloveismyfairytale likes this
- timshel-thechoice reblogged this from cooperhelps
- charlieofwriting reblogged this from halvehearts
- halvehearts reblogged this from skellyofrp
- ekinneys reblogged this from skellyofrp
- audriarps reblogged this from skellyofrp
- skellyofrp reblogged this from watsonwrites
- ribonuke likes this
- thecricketshavearthritis reblogged this from cooperhelps
- tylynnosaurus likes this
- jesseleesoffer likes this
- halloweeniehudson reblogged this from negovanlisrps
- madanimator likes this
- schizodolph likes this
- nocturnalgazer likes this
- plentyofintention likes this
- hauntedapple reblogged this from negovanlisrps
- ardened likes this
- watsonwrites reblogged this from cooperhelps
- fandommedley likes this
- lovethewayiwriteome reblogged this from cooperhelps
- negovanlisrps reblogged this from cooperhelps
- cooperhelps posted this
I mainly specialize in writing help, reviews, photo hunts, GIF hunts, and guide writing. I'm always eager to help, as long as certain requests are open.
If you want to say hi, just say hi! I'm always down for making friends in this community. Any/all questions off anonymous, unless potentially useful to the community and not specified as private, will be answered privately.